Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Runnin' Around: Awake My Soul

"I love to travel" is one of those things I say when someone asks me about my interests. However, in the last few years, I cannot say that I've really exercised that interest. This week I was told that it might be (I know it would definitely be) a great experience for me to do some traveling on my own. As much as I adore DC, NJ, NY, and all of the wonderful people and places that exist in those places....I keep thinking about how I really would love to get away from my routine. I need a breath of fresh air.

However, I understand that in reality because of time, $, and life, taking an extended period of time after I graduate to travel around is not exactly realistic. I did get to thinking about where I would go if I could....so, I got out "the list". Yes, I keep a running list in one of my many notebooks noting all the places I want to go. It includes the following countries and/or specific cities: Egypt, Amsterdam, Madrid, Fiji, Brazil, London, Portugal, New Orleans, California (again), Paris (again), Cuba, Rome and Milan (again), Dallas, Czech Republic, St. Barts, Jamaica, Germany (again, and more of it!), Dubai, IBIZA (thank you, Best DJ Ever, for reminding me)..........etc, etc, etc.

Since that list is a wee bit ambitious, I decided to narrow it down. Realistically, what could I do? I'm thinking about all this while out on a run today and since every other song on the playlist is by the same band, it smacked me in the face! FOLLOW MUMFORD & SONS AROUND ON TOUR! They hardly ever play in the US, so I could go all over Europe, get cheap concert tickets, and love life. I've shown them love on my blog before, and you all know, that their music is the kind that makes me get that feeling all over. Lauren does a great impression of my reaction when a song comes on that I'm absolutely infatuated with...ask her to show you. Like Joshua Radin, these guys can really sing and holy smokes can they play instruments. Hopefully you caught them at the Grammy awards this year, it gave me chills.



I got all excited running around P Street, Wisconsin Ave, and finally onto M Street but then I thought, yeah that isn't so realistic either. I need a job, I need to make dolla dolla bills, I need to start real life. And now that I'm sitting at my computer I see that Mumford & Sons is on tour NOW and that the European part of the tour ENDS in March. Feh! By the way, of course they are playing at Coachella and I've said this before but whoever decided that Coachella would be an exclusively west coast concert is a silly, stupid, little person...KILL HIM.

But wait! Why don't I just go to California to see them?! That stupid, silly, little person is still stupid and silly but that doesn't mean that I have to be too. I don't have to just sit on my butt over here on the east coast staring jealously over in the west coast direction.

....Too bad it's sold out. There's always their Vegas show, Friday April 15th, 2011, just in case anyone was wondering. They're also playing in Santa Barbara, Louisiana, Arkansas, Colorado, and Tennessee! Although, I have this awfully sick feeling that they are probably sold out already. However, the June 30th show with Arcade Fire in London isn't.....not that I've spent the last 20 minutes looking into all of this or anything.

Plan B. Hmm what's Plan B? Where could I realistically go after I graduate but before I start working? I'm thinking a San Fransisco trip is in order. FINALLY, I'd be able to see my brother and sister-in-law, the Balenciaga and Spain Exhibit at de Young, and hopefully extend the trip to LA (since I think I'll have a much greater appreciation for the city this time around). And while I'm out there, I might as well make a Vegas trip with the Nigara and Florio clan (Lauren, I'm considering you a Nigara at this point).

Neither of those "realistic" trips would really be considered "on my own" but hey, I'll take it! Get me outta here. No, really, get me out of here.

To conclude, on a serious note, I'd like to take this opportunity to pay a special tribute to my Uncle Warren. He passed away yesterday. You are so loved and we are missing you already. To the greatest Hoya I've ever known, you are an inspiration. I'm sorry you won't be here to see me graduate but I will be thinking of you the entire time. You are a legend. Rest in peace & Hoya Saxa.

"Awake My Soul" by Mumford & Sons

"How fickle my heart and how woozy my eyes
I struggle to find any truth in your lies
And now my heart stumbles on things I don't know
My weakness I feel I must finally show

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep totally free"

"AWULL: All Ways Us Living Love"
Love to the California Clan

2 comments:

  1. Why isn't Copenhagen on your list? Hahahalsdfhlsdhfahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep getting comments like this! The list extends past what I put on the blog....I promise! PS. I'm going to Copes if you're going to take me. Woot!

    ReplyDelete