Monday, February 7, 2011

"Tumble outta bed and stumble into the kitchen, pour myself a cup of ambition" - Dolly Parton

I can't imagine attending a university that did not require a long haul between there and home. Sometimes I get impatient with the trip, but 95% of the time I really enjoy the time on the train or bus to relax, listen to music, get school work done, or in this case....read news sites, gossip columns, and blog.

I just came across an article on Vulture, which is nymag.com's blog about music, movies, and television, called "Eight Career Options for Romantic-Comedy Heroines". Since I've recently been trying to figure out what exactly my career is going to be AND because my life sometimes feels like a rom-com gone horribly wrong, I clicked on it. Here is what the authors came up with:

1. Medicine: career-driven, married to the job, rampant sexual encounters, and often has the guy waiting around for her to chill out and realize there is more to life than work ----- Oh yeah, that sounds like me...NOT.

2. Magazines: Pretentious, couture obsessed, and a size 2 or smaller. It also says that while these heroines often work at a fashion and lifestyle based publication, they dream of working their way up to hard news. Yeah ok, so if this were me, which sometimes I think it could be....I wouldn't dream of working my way up to hard news. Writing about shoes, DVF, and why men are from Mars and women are from Venus would be fun!

3. Food Service: Woo hoo, I've got rom-com heroine potential! If the heroine owns her own place, she is beautiful, independent, and successful. However, if she just works at a restaurant, apparently she is waiting to be saved. Feh! Gnosh on that for awhile....yeah, doesn't sit well with me either.

4. TV News: Married to her Blackberry, yada yada. This one was boring, I don't even feel like writing about it.

5. Event Planning: Glamorous, capable, and desired. Score! I could see myself doing this too. I'm an organizational freak with a passion for partying....and partying well, I might add! I agree with the article though - I'll steer clear of the wedding planning part - too Bridezilla for me.

6. Fashion: Oh man, they hate on us fashionistas! Out of touch with what really matters, gotta smudge some dirt on the Louboutins before they can fall in love and become human again kinda gals. That's just great considering I've spent a lot of years wanting to be Kelly Cutrone.

7. Writing/Publishing: "Confidence and sex appeal comes from columnists or critics" .. I like it, I love it, I want some more of it! Someone turn my blog into a column and I'll be your bestest friend forever. Hold the phone, I can't believe I just wrote that. Hellooooo, girl, wake up! I'm going to turn it into a column or book....duh.

8. Political Arm Candy: Well good grief. I can't even...I just...yeah I can't even go there. Get your own life, ladies!

So looks like I've got some rom-com heroine potential. Although, I'm a hopeless romantic and am completely convinced that my life will ultimately lead to some incredible "story of us" no matter what. That's kind of funny actually because I am a romantic and want the love story, however, I'm also a product of my mother, New Jersey, Silva Mind Control, and Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child, therefore I've already DECIDED FOR MYSELF that all of these things will happen. A bit of an oxymoron or something, isn't it? Romantic comedies are all about destiny, fate, and the universe doing what it will with your life and here I am saying, "Hi Universe, it's Christie, just to let you know, YOU WILL give me the fairytale 'meet cute' and the wonderfully romantic story. Good talk, see ya out there." Go ahead, say it because I know you're thinking it: "You would."

John Smith: Come on, honey. Come to Daddy.
Jane Smith: [after she bashes him with a teapot and headbutts him]:
Who's your Daddy now?

Hahaha wow, I'm the Angie of romantic comedies, I'm sassing the universe for goodness sake! And besides, I already have her killer bod...just sayin'.

So how about real estate/property development/property sales/etc? Does that give me some rom-com heroine status? 'Cause if it don't, then I ain't doin' it! (wink wink) I think I'm mildly (and by mildly I mean abso-effing-lutely) determined to make any field I'm in rom-com heroine worthy. And that's about all I have to say 'bout that!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! You will be a rom-com heroine...and this is so!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you and your Blog will be come a movie!

    ReplyDelete